If you have questions or concerns about the MGA website, please direct your inquires to:
- The MGA homepage is the official page for MGA announcements, alerts, news, and information.
- Please use the webmaster feedback link, located at the bottom of every page, to notify us of broken links, content errors, or page errors. Your feedback helps improve the website!
While traditional email is ideal for one-on-one interaction, email lists advance the concept a step further by disseminating a single message simultaneously to a group of list subscribers. If this is something that your officially recognized student organization or MGA organization/department is interested in, please contact Kris Rickerson at (478) 471-2825.
Personal Web Folders - WEBDAV
Each MGA Faculty, Staff, and Student is provided with space, upon request, to create a web site. With the right tools and a little know-how, you can have a web page up in no time. Follow the steps outlined below to begin building your web pages.
- Account Creation: Contact Kelly Jones in ESM at (478) 757-2635 or Doug Smalley in ESM at (478) 471-2421 and request to create your account.
- Brush up on your HTML with the tutorial "Getting Started with HTML". More HTML tutorials can be found by searching Google.
- Aquire the tools to build your web pages such as SharePoint Designer (Free download from Microsoft), Dreamweaver (Must be purchased by your department), or Notepad++ (Free Online Download). Be aware that Microsoft Word is poor choice for webpage editing.
- Publish your site:
Download an FTP Client. This software will enable you to move your web pages from your computer to the server where people can view them.
Instructions for accessing your web folder:
Anyone can view your new Web pages by going to these URLs:
- http://facultyweb.mga.edu/your.name or
- http://staffweb.mga.edu/your.name or
Your first page should be named index.html.
Review policy regarding appropriate use of MGA computer resources
Please note that neither the TAC nor Technology Support provides training for web page development. If you are using this space for class projects/assignments, please contact your instructor for assitance.
Off-Campus Access to Network (VPN)
Using VPN Remote Access
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is provided for Faculty & Staff who wish to access the Middle Georgia State University network remotely using their broadband Internet Service Provider (ISP). VPN access uses the existing internet connection provided by the ISP to create a virtual connection to the MGA network. This connection is a virtual tunnel that uses 3DES encryption to prevent eavesdropping. Once connected via VPN, users can then securely access resources on the local area network (LAN), such as remote desktop ,email and network shares.
- On your work computer, enable "Remote Desktop."
Start ↦ Settings ↦ Control Panel ↦ System ↦ Remote Tab ↦ Check allow users to connect remotely
- On your work computer get your computer name. From the Start menu, select All Programs or Programs, then Accessories, and then Command Prompt. In the window that opens, at the prompt, enter "hostname". The result on the next line of the command prompt window will display the computer name. Write this down for use at home!
- On your home computer, go to https://vpn.mga.edu. Staff and Faculty should login using the entire email@example.com email address and associated password. Press the AnyConnect Button and select Start AnyConnect to install the VPN client. This installs the VPN client and places a shortcut in the programs menu. In the future you will go to Cisco, then Cisco Anyconnect VPN Client and select Cisco Anyconnect VPN Client to establish your VPN connection.
- On your home computer, access your work computer using Remote Desktop Connection.
Start ↦ Programs ↦ Accessories ↦ Communications ↦ Remote Desktop Connection
Under Computer, type your work PC's computer name; "b101-fs-1" for example.
VPN Questions? Contact: Network Services.
Middle Georgia State University Wireless Access Instructions
Middle Georgia State University provides two wireless networks for users who bring devices on campus.
MGANet is the campus wireless network. ResNet is the dorm wireless network. Each network has an “open” wireless network and a secure wireless network.
Campus Wireless, except dorms
- MGANet-Secure – “WPA2-Enterprise” secure network restricted to Internet access only. Students, faculty and staff may access this network using MGA.EDU user accounts for login. When you open your browser for the first time, you will be required to accept the terms of the Appropriate Use Policy.
- MGANet - Open network restricted to Internet access only. Its primary use will be to provide Internet access to campus guests who don’t have a MGA.EDU account and devices that don’t support “WPA2-Enterprise.” When you open your browser for the first time, you will be required to register your device via email or mobile phone SMS message and accept the terms of the Appropriate Use Policy.
- ResNet-Secure – “WPA2-Enterprise” secure network restricted to Internet access only. Students, faculty and staff may access this network using MGA.EDU user accounts for login.
- ResNet – Open network restricted to Internet access only. Its primary use will be for dorm guests who don’t have a MGA.EDU account and devices that don’t support “WPA2-Enterprise,” such as gaming consoles, printers and streaming devices.
For the best security, MGANet-Secure or ResNet-Secure should be used when possible.
Your device must support “WPA2-Enterprise” and you must have a MGA.EDU user account.
Most laptops, smartphones and tablets support “WPA2-Enterprise.”
Open networks are provided for convenience. They should only be used when WPA2-Enterprise is not an option.
When using open networks, the individual should not conduct sensitive transactions and should use VPN or SSL to secure communications.
Any user using the Middle Georgia State University wireless network is subject to the “Appropriate Use Policy” and all other applicable policies.
- Enabling WPA2-Enterprise in Windows 7
- Enabling WPA2-Enterprise in Windows 8
- Enabling WPA2-Enterprise in Windows 10
- Enabling WPA2-Enterprise in Android
- Enabling WPA2-Enterprise in Apple IOS
- Enabling WPA2-Enterprise in Apple Mac OS X
- Manual Configurations to Enable WPA2-Enterprise
Manual Configurations to Enable WPA2-Enterprise
This section lists the configuration information to manually configure devices not listed above.
- Network SSID: MGANet-Secure or ResNet-Secure
- Identity: Your MGA.EDU username
- Anonymous Identity: blank
- Security: 802.1x EAP (WPA2-Enterprise)
- EAP Method: Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Phase 2 Authentication: EAP-MSCHAP V2
- Validate Server Certificate: DigiCert Global Root CA
The Office of Technology Resources manages and oversees technology resources of the institution.
This includes all aspects of the wireless network, such as channel and frequency management as well as wireless network security.
Network Administrators within this division are the only people authorized to connect routers, wireless routers or access points to the network anywhere on campus,
including the Dorms.